Update: The interview was rescheduled for 17th of December at around 3 PM Bulgarian time and yes, I already talked with Gary’s PR! It’s for real this time!
Update: After some issues, Gary managed to call and talk with me for 10 minutes and because my mic failed during the recording, I have no other option, but to post the questions and the answer that I got.
1. What do you think about the education and is it relevant to the current marketplace? – Gary told me that he has never been more concerned about the level of the education in America (I share the same opinion for Europe). He told me that it is lagging behind and even though most of the people in VaynerMedia have successfully graduated, the company started hiring people that have just finished their high school and have not enrolled for any college or university. Of course, he reminded me that he was also a bad student and probably this adds to the reasons why he doesn’t like it.
2. Do you believe in Klout and how is this impacting the recruitment process? – He answered that he is not that huge fan of this service because at the end of the day it is just an algorithm and there will always be a way to cheat it (same with SEO, right?). He told me though, that there are companies that believe in it and they hire based on it, but for him this is just a number that can be cheated and it should not be a factor that needs to be taken that seriously especially during the recruitment process.
3. How many hours do you sleep? – This was a funny one! He told me that many people think that he is not sleeping, but he actually sleeps around 6 hour per day. However, he makes the other 18 very productive. 😉
4. What’s next after all companies start to reply to their customers and engage with them in all social media channels? – Access. Gary said that people will still expect content and engagement, but they will want to have access to the brand itself and they will also expect that brand to spend time with them and give them access to the information that they want to know.
5. You always talk about the psychology behind any of the social media sites, how do you know what the psychology is? Do you have psychologists inside Vayner that are doing those research work? – Gary said that he and all of his people in Vayner are thinking about this. There are no special people that are hired to do only such type of research work. However, he said that understanding the psychology of all the platforms comes naturally to him and he pointed that if he was not about to be an entrepreneur, he was actually going to be a psychologist.
6. Have you drank Bulgarian wines? – Many times! (OK, this was expected)
These were the questions that I decided to ask Gary! I still can’t believe I talked with him! Thanks so much to Matthew who is Gary’s PR and who helped arranging this short, but amazing call! I will never forget it!