You know Simon Sinek from his “Start With Why” TED talk, right? If not, please stop everything. Stop reading this blog post and watch this.
I try to consume everything that Simon Sinek produces and probably that is the reason I saw the video above and stayed up until late in the evening one day to watch and then reflect on what he said.
Stop here for now and watch the whole video. Please. Yes, it will take you 1 hour, but I promise you – it’s worth your time.
Welcome back. Now you may be wondering why I am writing this blog post? The answer is very selfish – because I want to keep myself publicly accountable. This way I won’t have any excuses in front of myself and in front of you to not do what I learned from this video. Here are the 2 “accountability lists” I prepared for myself:
The personal one:
- When going out with friends, family or my girlfriend, leave my phone at home or have it with me, but don’t use it except in an emergency.
- Don’t put my phone next to me on the table when on a meeting or use it while waiting for someone. Notice the world.
- Leave my phone at the living room during the night.
The ones for 356labs:
- Make a rule – before a company meeting – phones out of the room.
- Care. Truly care about the people who work with me. Build a family.
- Support. Give chances. Make people at 356labs understand that I will always be there to help them in a hard moment.
That’s it. It’s public. Now I have no excuses.
Did you watch the video? What do you think?